1.12.2012

Inspiration



True to my New Year's resolution, I am slowly finding my way back to my former bookwormish ways. I am beginning the year reading Hemingway's A Moveable Feast. I've just started, but I'm totally in love. I haven't read a lot of Hemingway, but I have read plenty of other writers from the Lost Generation, and I love the ex-patriot lot of them. I remember a paper I wrote sophomore year of college comparing the Beat Generation to the Lost Generation. (While we're at it, I miss writing papers!) So far I am loving the passages where he writes about writing. Obviously you all know I'm not a writer, but I think one can still be inspired by someone who is as committed to their craft as Hemingway is to writing. A couple of days ago I read a passage from the beginning of the novel where Hemingway discusses how after finishing a story he is, "always empty and both sad and happy, as though [he] had made love." I love that quote so much. I just love the idea that he puts so much of himself into his writing. That is how I want to strive to be with the things I love. If you put that much of yourself into something, how can you ever have regrets? (Yes, I am aware that Hemingway was, by many accounts, a troubled and complex individual, etc etc, but that isn't what I'm talking about here) Sorry for the ramble, I was just hoping this might hit someone over the head the way it did me. Find inspiration any where you can. Look around because it's always there.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. You couldn't be more true. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know what you mean by "i miss writing papers". you mean, "i miss driving to ihop at 4 in the morning to write a paper that's due in 5 hours following a night of side-splitting laughter with jennifer (at joel's expense) but it's okay because tomorrow night we're hosting the greatest dance party since last weekend!".

    i miss it too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...