1.31.2013

Professional Development... Or Something



As some of you may know, I recently made a pretty major career change.
I hesitate to call it a "career change" because I'm 24, and have I really been out of school and in the workforce long enough to call it a career? I digress. I went from owning my own vintage boutique to working with 5-10 year olds in the mental health field. Pretty different, right?

Due to certain life changes, I was forced to take this leap that I otherwise never would have been brave enough to do. I never would have even had enough courage to admit that I kind of wanted to do it. Kind of funny how sometimes when decisions are taken out of your hands completely, unforeseen circumstances can lead you right where you didn't even know you wanted to be.
You see, while owning Stitch was my dream, I have always been the type of person with like 10 of those. I loved loved loved having my store. It provided me with a creative freedom and independence in the workplace that I will likely never see again. I learned so many things through that experience, and I'm thrilled to be able to continue it as a side business for fun. The thing is, while I was beyond grateful for Stitch, I missed academia so incredibly much and also had a nagging feeling that I wasn't going to be satisfied unless I felt like I was making more of a positive impact. While I realize there are lots of ways that can be done in one's free time, in my mind it was always something I felt like I wanted to commit myself to in a larger capacity.
I am now working for a local nonprofit organization. My job is based in a local elementary school. Technically it is 2 different jobs in one. Half of my job allows me to work as a Child Associate for the Primary Project. This basically means I do child-led play therapy for children K-2nd grade whose teachers have identified as needing things like self-confidence or improved interactions with others. This part of my job is mostly fun. It isn't too stressful, and I get to play with the cutest kids ever. The second part of my job is a case management position in the same school. This part of my job is so hard. Sometimes I come home and laugh and cry simultaneously because these kids are hilarious and awesome and even fantastically weird, but many of them have also experienced more in their short lives than most of us will ever have to experience in our lifetimes. Knowing them and getting to interact with them each day is an absolute privilege. I feel like I'm right where I am supposed to be, and after the year I've had, there is no greater blessing than that feeling of reassurance that I am doing something meaningful that I love.
Who knows what the future holds? I certainly don't. I have learned the hard way (many times) that my plans don't always pan out the way I think they are going to. For now, I am continent to be where I am with these kiddos, getting to do the vintage thing on the side when I feel like it. My need to be creative is still there, and that is largely how I spend my free time. I accomplish this through writing this blog, crafting, sewing, and forging ahead in the ongoing nesting process. I am happy. Turns out change isn't all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...